Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation’s mission is to invest in the future of journalism by building the ethics, skills and opportunities needed to advance principled, probing news and information now and for the future.
EEJF does so through contributions to media institutions and journalism schools nationwide, primarily in areas of investigative reporting, youth education, professional development, and special opportunities.
The Foundation has four program areas: Investigative Reporting, Professional Development, Oklahoma Journalism and Special Opportunities. Within each of these program areas, the Foundation gives special preference to programs focusing on ethics and new media.
Through its support of non-profit investigative organizations and educational institutions, the Foundation seeks to:
- Increase the quantity, quality and ethical standards of investigative reporting and watchdog journalism on state and local issues;
- Stimulate and nurture the development of organizations, infrastructures, services, collaborations and business models that can help secure a future for investigative reporting and watchdog journalism;
- Encourage the development of digital innovations that make data about state and local issues more available to the public.
Through its support of professional development programs at non-profits and educational institutions, the Foundation seeks to:
- Improve the credibility and impact of journalism;
- Stimulate adherence to the highest ethical standards and practices by both traditional and new media;
- Sustain and encourage more journalism that produces civic results;
- Help journalists make use of new tools and new outlets for their work;
- Increase and renew the enthusiasm of journalists for their important work.
The Foundation seeks to improve the quality of journalism and journalists produced in Oklahoma through its support of journalism programs at non-profits and educational institutions in the state.
The Foundation considers applications for journalism initiatives with special promise or distinction, particularly collaborative efforts.